Ductwork is the network of large pipes, that distribute heated or cooled air throughout your house. Ductwork leaks can cause even the best furnace, heat pump or air conditioner to function poorly and inefficiently.
Since the ductwork carries all of the air that keeps your home comfortable in each season, loose connections, unsealed gaps or other ductwork leaks can cause substantial air and energy loss. Up to 20 percent of the air in the ductwork can be wasted because of these leaks, which quickly adds up to a lot of money spent conditioning air that never gets used. In some cases, leaky ductwork can cause a danger to you and your family if harmful gases such as carbon monoxide are not properly vented to the outdoors.
Watch carefully for any of the following five signs of leaky, damaged or inefficient ductwork:
1. Abnormally high heating or cooling expenses or spikes in your bills that do not correspond to increased usage or outdoor temperatures
2. Problems heating or cooling particular rooms or areas appropriately
3. Noticeable air escaping around the side or edges of the fan section and or ductwork in attics or crawlspaces
4. Noticeable damage to sections of ductwork
5. Ducts installed in unconditioned or poorly conditioned locations, such as garages, unfinished or uninsulated basements or attics, or crawl spaces
By finding and sealing any leaks in your ductwork, you’ll see immediate savings on your monthly heating and cooling expenses. Contact your local trusted HVAC contractor for a professional duct sealing. HVAC experts can mechanically attach ductwork sections to each other for a better seal. They can also test for proper airflow and the presence of any harmful gases or fumes.
Acosta Heating, Cooling & Electrical has been a trusted provider of professional heating and air conditioning services to customers in Charlotte and surrounding areas for 40 years. Contact us today for more information on reducing ductwork leaks and improving indoor comfort through proper sealing.