As winter comes in, we’re all going to be sealed up in our homes with our heating systems on. Carbon monoxide is a gas emission from anything that burns fuel. So, if you have gas, oil, kerosene or wood heating, or even an attached garage, your Charlotte-area home is a prime candidate for potentially deadly carbon monoxide.
If you don’t have carbon monoxide detectors, get them. They are actually required by Mecklenburg County Building Standards.
They should be a low level CO detector, there are a lot alarms on the market that only sound an alarm at 70+ PPM while both OSHA and the EPA consider 10 to 35 PPM a serious level of CO.
If you do have a CO detector, make sure they’re a LOW level detector and that they are in the right places. Here are a few tips on the best places for carbon monoxide detector placement:
- Bedrooms: The absolute number one place for a detector is the bedroom. Ideally, the unit should be located about 10 feet away from the bedroom door. Once asleep, if there is a problem with your heater’s fuel combustion and fumes are entering the house, a detector will alert you before the carbon monoxide gas reaches a serious level.
- On Each Floor: A multi-level home should have one on each floor. Carbon monoxide gas is about the same weight as oxygen and will rise in heated air. Your basement should have one as well.
- Living Areas: Dens, living rooms, and bonus rooms should all have carbon monoxide detectors. Falling asleep in front of the television with the poisonous gas present could result in a tragedy.
- Near Or Above an Attached Garage: Fumes coming from gasoline vehicles contain carbon monoxide gas. Warming the vehicle in the winter before leaving can have dangerous consequences if fumes enter your home.
For more information on protecting your family from this poisonous gas, contact our staff at Acosta Heating and Cooling. We want all Charlotte residents to be both warm and safe this winter. Call us with your questions, we’re always happy to help.