Heat pumps are great options for Charlotte, NC, homeowners. They offer energy-efficient heating or cooling for your home because they use the air surrounding your home to control the air inside your home.
Heat pumps are reliable and long-lasting, but they can raise questions for new users. One of the most common questions homeowners ask is, “why is my heat pump running constantly?” The expert professionals at Acosta are always ready to answer your questions.
Signs That Your Heat Pump Is Working Correctly
Sometimes your heat pump needs to run a lot to work. Here are signs that your heat pump is working correctly, even if it’s constantly running.
- Fan is set to “On,” not “Auto”: When your heat pump is set to “Auto,” it turns itself off after it reaches the desired temperature. If your heat pump is set to “On,” it will run even after reaching the correct temperature.
- Not reaching set temperature: If it is an especially cold or hot day, your heat pump will need to work harder to heat or cool your home. Because it doesn’t create warm or cold air but circulates the existing air through your home, it will continually run if it can’t reach the correct temperature.
- Switching modes to retain temperature: Some heat pumps have an auto-reverse feature. This means it switches into the opposite mode to keep the temperature where it is set. The heat pump could sometimes switch between heating and cooling modes, resulting in it running constantly.
Troubleshooting Your Heat Pump
Here are some ways homeowners can troubleshoot their heat pump problems:
- Check the air filter: Heat pumps use air filters just like traditional heating and cooling systems. If your heat pump air filter is clogged or dirty, the heat pump will continue running to try and push clean air through. Changing the air filter can immediately correct the problem.
- Check the thermostat: If the thermostat is set too high (for heating) or too low (for cooling), the heat pump may need to work continuously. Try resetting the thermostat to a different temperature to see if it causes the heat pump to stop running.
- Check doors and windows: If you have an open door or window, your heat pump could be fighting against drafts. Make sure you close doors and windows and see if it helps stop the constant running.
- Check the outside unit: Debris or snow buildup around the outside unit of your heat pump could block the airflow. The heat pump will need to work harder to transfer air in and out of your home, causing it to run all the time.
Signs It’s Time To Call for Professional Help
If your heat pump is constantly running, sometimes it’s time to call for professional help. Here are signs Charlotte homeowners should know:
- Tripped circuit breakers: The circuit breakers in your home are there for your protection. If your heat pump regularly trips your circuit breakers, there is a reason. It’s best not to ignore it.
- Refrigerant leak: If you notice leaking refrigerant seeping from your heat pump, something has gone wrong. A professional will be able to find and fix the issue.
- Damaged compressor or coils: The mechanical parts of your heat pump need to be in good condition for the heat pump to work correctly. A damaged compressor or coils could cause your heat pump to work constantly.
- Outdoor system isn’t running: If your indoor system is running, but your outdoor system is not, it may seem like the heat pump is constantly running. Your home will never reach your desired temperature because the two parts are not working together.
- Blower relay switch problems: The relay switch in your heat pump motor controls the flow of electricity, which signals if the heat pump should turn on or off. If it malfunctions, the heat pump could run constantly.
Why You Should Call a Professional
It may be tempting for some homeowners to try and fix their heat pump on their own to save money. Unfortunately, that doesn’t often happen because homeowners cause more damage, resulting in more extensive and costly repairs.
A professional can diagnose and solve your heat pump issues quickly and efficiently. Additionally, a professional will make sure your heat pump is safe.
Choose Acosta for Heat Pump Services
If you need heat pump services for your Charlotte, NC, home, Acosta is ready to help. Our friendly professionals are highly trained, background-checked, and drug tested. We are the area leaders in delivering exceptional quality and service.
When you choose Acosta for your heat pump services, you choose it to be done right the first time.