Investing in a programmable thermostat will quickly pay you back, as the average energy savings you can expect from using these devices approaches 10 percent. By selecting a model with “smart” capabilities, you can lock in the highest savings possible while providing the ultimate in convenience.
Standard and smart programmable thermostats generally allow homeowners to set their devices for up to four daily schedules. But weekly scheduling options differ from one model thermostat to another.
You can choose:
- 7-day programming, with a separate schedule for every day of the week
- 5-1-1 settings, with one schedule for Monday through Friday, and one schedule for each weekend day
- 5-2 programming, with one schedule for the weekdays and one for weekends
- 1-week settings, with programming that extends the entirety of the seven-day week
Programmable thermostat features
You can also select various features for added convenience, including:
- Touch screen capabilities
- Reminders to change your HVAC air filters and the thermostat’s batteries
- Vacation override button
A standard programmable thermostat will give you all of the features listed above, but a smart device offers an additional perk: web-based access. Remote access to a programmable thermostat can give a homeowner a multitude of options, including the ability to:
- Change temperature settings from another location using a phone or computer
- Adjust temperatures remotely when your schedule changes, so that by the time you return home the temperature will be comfortable
- Change the time period of an existing setting, allowing you to adjust any of the four daily settings
- Set a 365-day schedule, a feature available on some smart programmable thermostats
- Lock out manual adjustments, ideal when you don’t want home occupants, like children, to manipulate the thermostat and make changes to the temperature or time settings
- Receive a text or email when your smart thermostat senses that the home’s temperature is above or below the setting, allowing you to remotely respond
- Receive alerts when humidity sensors read levels that are too high or too low
Use the power of “smart” programmable thermostat technology, and boost your overall energy savings and convenience. For help, contact Acosta Heating, Cooling & Electrical — serving the Greater Charlotte area as a local, family-owned company since 1972.