Air conditioners can be a little tricky sometimes. Even if you manage to get the buttons to do what you want them to, it can be a guessing game as to whether or not you are getting the most for your money or making mistakes all over the place. Here are some common mistakes you can avoid as a homeowner with air conditioners.
- Wrong sized unit- Too big could mean uneven cooling in your house; too small could mean your system wears itself out quickly just trying to keep up. For help in choosing the right system for your home, contact us at Acosta Heating and Cooling, and we can offer suggestions.
- Installed in the wrong place– Believe it or not, air conditioners in the shade perform better than air conditioners in direct sunlight. At Acosta Heating and Cooling we can also find you the best location on your property for your air conditioner to be installed.
- Over/under use– Running air conditioners 24/7 or turning them off and not running them for long periods of time can both be detrimental. Whatever your desired temperature is, set the thermostat a couple of degrees above that while you are sleeping or away from the house. This will give your air conditioner and your wallet a little break.
- Not using ceiling fans– Helping to disperse the cool air through a room with ceiling fans can help air conditioners to recognize that they have reached the desired temp quicker, instead of running longer than is necessary.
- Ignoring the filters– People often forget that the cleanliness of the air filter is directly proportionate to the air conditioner’s ability to run efficiently. Air filters may need to be changed as much as monthly.