Before you go away for days or weeks at a time, there are certain home-maintenance chores you should complete to ensure that you don’t come home to unpleasant surprises. Besides giving you peace of mind while you’re gone, these tasks will also save you money.
- Turn your water heater off. There’s no need to heat water if you’re going to be gone for more than three days, in which case, turning your heater off saves energy.
- Turn the thermostat up about 10 degrees (not off) for your air conditioning. Raising the temperature will save energy, but will keep the humidity from getting too high while you are away, plus it will not take as long to recoup to a comfortable temperature upon your return.
- A critical part of home maintenance before you leave is checking your air filter. Change or clean it if it’s dirty. Dirt slows the passage of air through your blower and drives up energy bills. Clogged filters also contribute to increased wear and tear on your HVAC equipment.
- Unplug the appliances and electronics you don’t need, including televisions, DVD players, cellular phone chargers, and computer equipment. These draw power even when they’re not on.
- Change your light bulbs to CFLs or LEDs. These bulbs use far less electricity than standard bulbs. They also provide ample light outdoors and you can save even more energy if you use light sensors or timers to turn them on and off.
- Put your pool on a timer so it runs six hours a day and cover it with a solar or insulating blanket to keep it warm and slow evaporation.
- Mow the lawn before you go. If you’re going to be away for an extended period, find someone or a service to mow it for you and tend to the plants.
- Clean away any vegetation near the A/C condenser an ample unrestricted airflow around the unit will increase its efficiency.
- Make sure the garbage can is empty before you go so odors don’t build in the garage or outside.
It’s also wise to have your air conditioner serviced before you go. That way, you know it won’t break down while you’re away, and you know you’ll return to a comfortable home. Acosta Heating & Cooling has provided HVAC services for the Charlotte area since 1972. Contact us today for all of your HVAC needs!