An A/C Tune-Up should be at the top of your spring to-do list. The largest consumer of energy in your home is your heating and cooling system. Keeping your HVAC equipment running efficiently will help control energy costs.
Having a spring A/C Tune-Up will get your A/C unit ready to operate safely and efficiently throughout the summer cooling season. You’ll also avoid the panic of having to repair a malfunctioning unit in the middle of the hot summer months to come.
When you schedule an A/C Tune-Up, your technician will:
- Conduct a thorough inspection of the entire system and its related components
- Test the A/C’s refrigerant. An incorrectly-charged system will waste energy and not cool properly.
- Test the system for refrigerant leaks
- Safely capture refrigerant that must be removed, according to industry standards
- Check the ductwork portion of your HVAC equipment, ensuring that it doesn’t leak and allows for proper airflow
- Assess the A/C’s airflow over the evaporator coil, and clean it. Improper airflow over the coil will lead to decreased cooling capacity
- Test the thermostat, ensuring that its controls will deactivate the heating system when you set the thermostat to cooling mode, and making sure that it will meet temperature settings
- Inspect all electrical elements, lubricating and tightening connections as necessary
Test the motor, checking that belts are tight, warding off wear and tear, and lubricating the motor, too
As a homeowner, you can participate in maintaining the air conditioner by:
- Changing the air filter before you start up the A/C
- Checking the air filter monthly once you begin to use the air conditioner regularly, ensuring that the filter is not dirty, which will restrict airflow and lead to dirt buildup
- Assessing the conditions around the outdoor unit, cleaning up debris that has accumulated throughout the winter, as well as vegetation that can block the unit and potentially restrict airflow and reduce efficiency
- Inspecting the registers and grilles throughout your home to ensure that airflow is optimized
Contact the home-comfort experts at Acosta Heating & Cooling to schedule an A/C tune-up appointment, or ask about our annual maintenance plans. We’ve served the Greater Charlotte area as a local, family-owned company since 1972.