Even as the traditional summer season draws to a close, Charlotte residents know there is more to come in terms of warm weather. While it’s always best to have your A/C serviced in the spring, before the peak of the cooling season, it’s never too late to consider preventive maintenance for your cooling system.
Preventive maintenance prolongs the life of your system by improving performance; it also reduces your energy costs. With that in mind, here are a few tips to help you keep your system running at maximum efficiency for the remainder of the cooling season:
- Check the air filter to be sure it is clean. If it is dirty, either change it or wash it (if it’s the reusable type). Air filters should be cleaned or changed on a monthly basis.
- Clear away debris, such as leaves, weeds, mulch, grass or other plants that might block airflow through the outdoor A/C condensing unit.
- Periodically clean the outdoor condensing unit by spraying it with a garden hose.
- Check to be sure that your registers and returns are not blocked by furniture or other large objects.
You should also have a trained, certified HVAC technician perform a preventive maintenance check on your air conditioning and heating systems annually. Typically, your technician will check the following:
- Refrigerant level and possibility of leaks
- State of burner combustion
- Condition of heat exchanger
- Electrical connections
- Thermostat settings and accuracy
- Condensate drain and possibility of blockage
- Efficiency of ductwork
- Condition of belts and motors
- Evaporator coil airflow
- Lubrication requirements
- Electrical control sequencing
- Blower components
Acosta Heating & Cooling has provided preventive maintenance services, repairs and installation of new equipment in the Charlotte area since 1972. Our highly-qualified technicians are NATE-certified, so you’ll get the best service possible. If you have questions regarding your heating and cooling systems, call us today.