Saving Money Through the Winter in Charlotte, NC
No one likes to pay high utility bills, but as the fall weather sets in you can reduce your next month’s energy usage with just a few simple steps. For a small, or in some cases no investment, you can set yourself up to save for years to come. Here are some ideas from the professionals:
- 7-12% of heat loss occurs through a home’s doors and windows. Be sure yours are sealed as tightly as possible. Check to see if your weatherstripping is worn. It may be worth the minimal cost and effort to replace it to avoid cold air leaking into your home. Caulking around windows can help cut drafts too. It can be done in less than an hour and can make a big impact.
- Add insulation to your outlets. If you take off your outlet cover, you’ll likely see a hole. This could lead to wasted energy. Use latex caulk or foam sealant to fill in gaps. Consider also using outlet plugs in outlets you don’t use frequently.
- Plug holes around pipes, gas lines, or electrical cables that go to the exterior of your home. Use expanding foam to fill in space and eliminate drafts. In addition, this could prevent the potential of pests getting in.
- Consider a small, energy-efficient space heater. It can be a waste to heat an entire house if you are just sitting in one room. Consider using a space heater to warm up just the area you are in.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Set a program in your thermostat so your heat comes on only when you are home or at least is turned down when you aren’t home.
- Be sure your heating system is working efficiently. When you need help with your heating and cooling Charlotte, residents know to call Acosta Heating and Cooling. We can help keep your furnace maintained so that it is working properly and efficiently. Contact us with any questions you may have regarding energy efficiency in your home. We look forward to hearing from you!