Furnace repair can be a very expensive part of life. It is important to catch the signs early, so you avoid a catastrophe and an even more expensive mess. Here are 7 signs that can help you realize whether you need furnace repair or not:
- The prices of your gas and electric bill are going up. Furnaces lose efficiency with age, and this can increase exponentially if the furnace has not been properly maintained. This causes your furnace to work harder for the same amount of output while using more energy and eventually causing your gas or electric bills to rise. The money you pay the gas and electric company every month could be used to pay for new furnace.
- Your furnace is multiple decades old. The life expectancy of a furnace is between 16 and 20 years. Any longer than this and your furnace is probably close to its end.
- No matter what the thermostat says, you are still uncomfortable. Your furnace may lack the ability to properly distribute the air in your home, making some rooms warmer than others. Also your thermostat may need replacing.The furnace is making strange noises. Furnaces tend to make strange and loud noises near the end of their life. This could be a sign that the furnace is about to give.
- Members of your household getting sick. As furnaces get older, they run the risk of getting damaged and cracked. This can cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home undetected and cause harm to your family. Symptoms include disorientation, nausea, and flu-like symptoms. It is highly recommended that everyone have a carbon monoxide detector installed in each living area of your home. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, or if your carbon monoxide detector goes off, get out of the house immediately and do not go back in until the area has been inspected by professionals and proven to be safe
- Yellow burner flame instead of a blue burner flame. A yellow burner flame might be a sign that your furnace is producing carbon monoxide. This is very dangerous to the members of your household.
- Dirty or dusty home. Old furnaces cannot properly moisturize and clean the air inside of your home.
If you see any of these signs, you should consult with a professional to see about furnace repair or replacing your furnace.