Should You Opt for a Heat Pump or Furnace in NC?
Acosta Heating, Cooling & Electrical has been in the HVAC business for five decades. We are happy to answer any questions you have about the differences between heat pumps and furnaces, and we can help you select a system that works for you. We serve the Greater Charlotte area and surrounding parts of South Carolina. Acosta can help service your heater or furnace. Working with your current heat options or totally upgrading can help you and your family be comfortable when the temperature is cooler.
Benefits of Installing a Heat Pump System
- A heat pump runs on electricity. This is the most common type of heating for homes in moderate climates.
- The installation service is also less time intensive and will cost less than a furnace. Heat pumps are quieter than traditional furnaces.
- Another benefit of heat pumps is that there’s no danger of carbon monoxide poisoning! There is no chance of a gas leak, which makes it safer.
- Heat pumps are known to be one of the most energy-efficient HVAC options available to homeowners. The heat pump can replace your air conditioner as well, making this a good choice if you need to replace your air conditioner soon.
- There are ductless versions of heat pumps that you can use in your home if you cannot count on having functional and clean air ducts and vents.
- A heat pump should reduce your fuel costs by 50% if you’re currently running on gas.
- They tend to be one of the most dependable HVAC options on the market.
- The overall working of the heat pump is cleaner, so the air in your home will be cleaner than if you were to use a furnace or central air.
Disadvantages of Heat Pumps
- Heat pump systems can be more expensive to install compared to traditional heating and cooling systems.
- Heat pumps work best in moderate climates. In extremely cold climates, the efficiency of the heat pump decreases, and it may struggle to provide sufficient heating. In such cases, additional heating sources might be required.
- Heat pumps can generate some noise, especially the outdoor unit. While modern models are designed to minimize noise, it can still be a concern for homeowners, particularly if the outdoor unit is located near living areas or neighbors.
Does a heat pump sound like the right system for your home? Give Acosta a call at 704.665.5998 for a free estimate on installation in the Charlotte, NC, area today!
Benefits of Installing a Furnace Heating System
- Furnaces require less space because there’s no outdoor component, only an indoor one.
- Furnaces are also better for heating homes in extreme cold.
- It’s mechanically made out of fewer parts, so there’s less risk of it breaking and it might be easier to maintain.
- Gas furnaces have a longer life span than electric furnaces. If you have access to natural gas, this might be the choice for you.
- Furnaces rely on ducts to spread the heat throughout your home, so make sure you have functional and clean air ducts and vents with a furnace.
- Furnaces last for around 10 to 15 years before needing to be replaced. With proper maintenance, they can last even longer than that.
- Furnaces can help your pipes from freezing.
- Furnaces are the most common heating source across the U.S.
Thinking a furnace might be right for your Charlotte-area home? Contact Acosta for a free estimate on furnace installation!
Disadvantages of Furnaces
- Furnaces are known for their relatively lower energy efficiency compared to heat pumps.
- Furnaces that use fossil fuels contribute to carbon emissions and are less environmentally friendly compared to heat pumps, which utilize electricity for heating.
- Furnaces tend to dry out the air in a home, leading to lower humidity levels.
- Furnaces that rely on fossil fuels are subject to fluctuations in fuel prices and availability. If the cost of the chosen fuel rises significantly or becomes scarce, it can impact the affordability of operating a furnace heating system.
Your Local Charlotte Heating System Experts
Acosta Heating, Cooling & Electrical is here to answer any questions you have about heat pumps or furnaces. We’ve been the go-to HVAC company in the Charlotte area since 1972
Contact us today and make an appointment and get a free estimate on heat pump and furnace installation.