As the summer winds down, residents in the Charlotte Metro area are beginning to prepare their homes for cooler weather. Having a winterized home is essential to ensure that your abode will stay warm without breaking the bank, and certain preventive measures concerning your HVAC equipment are required to keep your system running smoothly and efficiently.
To get your home buttoned up for the impending fall and winter, there are quite a few things you can do yourself, and a professional can help with the rest. Here are a few simple, yet effective ways to get your dwelling ready.
- Remove window air conditioning units to prevent drafts from seeping through the opening.
- Check the weather stripping around windows and caulked areas, and add additional sealant as needed.
- Prevent pipes from freezing by adding insulation or wrapping them.
- To circulate warmer air throughout the home, reverse the direction of ceiling fans.
- Lower the temperature setting when no one is at home. Consider having a programmable thermostat installed for convenience.
Some of the preparations for cold weather are best left up to a professional NATE-certified technician, and these more in depth tasks include:
- Taking care of a full system maintenance checkup on the furnace or heat pump and any other heating related devices such as a whole house humidifier
- Investigating the home’s air ducts for proper sealing and placement
- Checking the insulation levels to ensure adequacy.
Keep in mind, furnace filters will need to be replaced or cleaned monthly for optimal results during the cold weather months.
Contact us at Acosta Heating and Cooling to find out more about our preventative maintenance money saving program, which will keep all of your HVAC equipment in optimal condition for every season.